Tag Archives: cocos

Cocos Fire: 4 Years Later – The Escondido Creek Conservancy

Almost 2,000 acres burned, 40 structures destroyed, and almost $5.7 million dollars in property damage were caused by the Coco’s Fire. The fire was ignited by a 14-year-old girl in her backyard on May 14th, 2014. Fire season typically starts in October after the summer has dried out the vegetation but California was experiencing one of its worst droughts on record — leaving it particularly vulnerable. The Conservancy decided to turn the tragedy of the fire into an opportunity to document the rebirth of the ecosystem, to monitor the burned areas over time, to see what could be learned by taking photos of the same sites for five years. We are now in year four of that monitoring. Read more via Source: Cocos Fire: 4 Years Later – The Escondido Creek Conservancy

14-Year-Old Girl Guilty of Starting Cocos Fire: Judge | NBC 7 San Diego

14-Year-Old Girl Guilty of Starting Cocos Fire: Judge

The girl faced four felony charges and a misdemeanor.

A 14-year-old girl was convicted Tuesday of starting last year’s devastating Cocos Fire by sparking a small fire in her backyard.

The judge found her guilty of four of the five counts against her, including the one linking her to the Cocos Fire, though the judge said she did not intend to harm anyone.  READ & WATCH MORE via 14-Year-Old Girl Guilty of Starting Cocos Fire: Judge | NBC 7 San Diego.

Channel 10 Coverage

 

Investigator: Backyard Flames Do Not Necessarily Translate to Traveling Ember | NBC 7 San Diego

Cocos Fire

 

Investigator: Backyard Flames Do Not Necessarily Translate to Traveling Ember

Testimony continues from a neighbor and investigator in the arson trial of a Southern California teenager

A fire investigator testified Friday the flames started by a girl in her backyard did not necessarily have to create an ember that sparked the Cocos Fire. Here is more reporting on the trial Monday via Investigator: Backyard Flames Do Not Necessarily Translate to Traveling Ember | NBC 7 San Diego.

15 Others Near Origin of Cocos Fire: Defense | NBC 7 San Diego

Cocos Fire

15 Others Near Origin of Cocos Fire: Defense

More than a dozen suspicious people were seen near the site of the devastating Cocos Fire, according to defense attorneys of the teenager accused of arson.

The 15 suspicious people and a transient seen in the area of origin were mentioned during cross-examination of a Cal Fire investigator Tuesday. READ MORE via 15 Others Near Origin of Cocos Fire: Defense | NBC 7 San Diego.

Cocos Fire Testimony

DSC_0929

Here is a collection of links to NBC7 & SDUT coverage of the Cocos Fire Trial 

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Teenagers-Mother-Testifies-in-Cocos-Fire-Trial-296260011.html

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Second-Day-of-Trial-in-Teen-Accused-of-Starting-Cocos-Fire-295938201.html

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Cocos-Fire-Trial-Testimony-Heads-Into-Fifth-Day-296386421.html

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/mar/14/tp-mother-testifies-girl-admitted-setting-fires/

Trial starts for teen accused in Cocos fire | UTSanDiego.com

Trial starts for teen accused in Cocos fire

SAN DIEGO — On two consecutive hot and windy days in May, a teenage San Marcos girl walked deep into her backyard — Scripto lighter in hand — and intentionally set trees on fire, a prosecutor said in court Tuesday.

After setting the first fire, the girl, then 13, went back inside and laughed as she told her sister that a falling branch had sparked the blaze. She also told her mother, who called 911. Firefighters quickly doused it, Deputy District Attorney Shawnalyse Ochoa said.

READ MORE via Trial starts for teen accused in Cocos fire | UTSanDiego.com.

San Elijo Life 2014 Year in Review

 

IMG_9508

San Elijo Life 2014 Year in Review

San Elijo Life was viewed about 160,000 times in 2014.

The busiest day of the year was May 15th during the Cocos Fire with 9,871 views. The most popular post that day was Timelapse photo of advancing fire from roof of Stone Brewery.

In 2014, there were 294 new posts, growing the total archive of San Elijo Life to 1,962 posts since 2006.

In 2014 we covered: Cocos Fire, Cell Towers, Double Peak School, Mountain Lion Sightings, HOA News and Events, New Questhaven Park Playground, Local San Elijo Hills Business, City of San Marcos News and Events.

Happy New Year from San Elijo Life

The City of San Marcos encourages residents to prepare for peak fire season by practicing San Diego County’s “Ready, Set, Go” approach

Ready, Set , Go

While San Marcos was hit hard by wildfire this May, the City of San Marcos has been actively reviewing emergency plans and resources to ensure the community is prepared for the peak fire season still ahead.

“It is no secret that San Marcos and all of southern California often sees a brutal fall fire season,” said San Marcos Fire Chief Brett Van Wey. “Considering extreme weather conditions and drought, risk is particular high this year and we must all step up our preparedness game.”

To prepare, regional fire agencies and the County of San Diego is recommending residents take a “Ready, Set, Go!” approach for peak fire season.

Residents are asked to get “ready” by creating or maintaining at least 150 feet of defensible space – but to do so only early in the morning when the grasses are still dewy to prevent sparking a fire in the dry heat of the day.

Residents can also get “ready” by making an emergency plan and gathering emergency supplies.

If a fire breaks out, San Marcos residents can get “set” to evacuate by: subscribing to the City’s e-alerts and facebook and twitter pages, setting radios to AM 1610 station and watching other news outlets; grabbing their emergency supply kit; leaving inside and outside lights on so firefighters can see their home through smoke; closing all windows and doors but leaving them unlocked for firefighters; turning off propane and gas tanks, pilot lights and air conditioning; moving furniture to the center of the room and bringing patio furniture inside. All these steps give your home a better chance if embers were to land on your property.

And finally, if told to do so, or if they feel unsafe, residents should “go.” Firefighters suggest residents pre-pack their vehicles and leave early to avoid congestion from others evacuating and emergency vehicles. Residents can “go” to a predetermined location outside of the area at risk or established temporary evacuation points or shelters.

The City also reminds residents to register their cell phones with the County’s free AlertSanDiego notification system to make sure they get any calls with evacuation instructions.

For more information, please visit www.readyforwildfire.org.

To learn more about the County of San Diego’s “Ready, Set, Go” call to action, register for AlertSanDiego and download free planning templates and the SD Emergency app, visit ReadySanDiego.org.

« Older Entries