Attendance Boundary Committee December Update from SMUSD
On December 7th, the District’s Attendance Boundary Committee (Committee) met for the third time. The Committee is tasked with providing two recommendations to the Governing Board.
- Recommendation #1: Propose adjustments to current attendance boundaries to optimize student capacity at each school.
- Recommendation #2: Propose an implementation plan / schedule for the Board-approved attendance boundary adjustments.
Following the Committee’s meetings on November 9th, Committee members were invited to the District office on three separate days to spend more time with the current attendance boundaries and provide additional suggestions, beyond those provided at the meeting on November 9th.
All of the suggestions received were reviewed for common themes and suggestions. This resulted in the creation of 4 new scenarios.
On December 7th, the four new scenarios, along with the scenario from the first meeting, and a summary of each scenario were shared with the Committee. Each member of the Committee was then given the opportunity to study the maps, ask questions, and then vote for their top-two choices of each scenario. There were two scenarios that received the highest votes of the five total scenarios.
A discussion occurred following the voting process which resulted in some minor changes to the two scenarios. It was agreed that these two scenarios represented the consensus recommendations to be submitted to the Governing Board for Recommendation #1.
The Committee also reviewed two proposed draft implementation plans and had an opportunity to discuss the pros / cons of each. Ultimately, the Committee made changes to one of the draft implementation plans and it will be submitted to the Governing Board for Recommendation #2.
- On January 16th, 2018, the Governing Board will hear a presentation from the Attendance Boundary Committee Chair on the recommendations from the Committee. There will be no vote or action by the Governing Board at this meeting.
- The week prior to the January 16th meeting, the recommendations will be placed on the District’s website for community review. Instructions will be uploaded in how to view the maps and a link will be made available where comments may be submitted.
- The Governing Board has the option to hold special board meeting to further study the recommendations from the Attendance Boundary Committee prior the the meeting on February 20, 2018.
- The soonest the Governing Board would vote on attendance boundary changes will be at the meeting on February 20, 2018.
If you have any specific questions or concerns regarding the Attendance Boundary Committee, you may submit them HERE.