Special San Marcos School District Meeting Thursday 3/24 at 4:00PM
Did you know your child may be sitting in a classroom with 32 kids at San Eljio Hills Elementary School next school year K – 5th grade?
Did you know due to this large class size and lack of funding from the state of California and school, your child’s Art, Science, and Music may be affected next year.
Did you know K-12 Public Education has not been “spared” in the 2011 California budget. In short, the Governor’s preliminary budget is contingent upon revenue derived from the extension of current temporary taxes which would otherwise expire on July 1, 2011. Without these tax extensions, our california schools could lose an additional $5 billion in funding or $900/student. As of today, the legislature has not agreed to allow the people of California the right to vote on the tax extensions that are set to expire July 1st. A 2/3rds vote of the legislature is required to bring the vote to the people and this initiative/bill is 5 votes short.
YOU HAVE A VOICE, YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE-THIS IS HOW:
Go to the San Marcos School District meeting Thursday, March 24 at 4pm at 255 Pico Avenue, San Marcos, CA 92069 in the Media Center – San Elijo Hills is specifically on the agenda.
- Send an email to all the San Marcos School District members your concerns and possible solutions.
- Get Educated – Listen to Dr. Holt the San Marcos Superintendent Podcast regarding the San Marcos School District Budget.
- Talk to your friends and neighbors and bring the community together and be advocates for the children and their education.
- You can participate with your San Elijo Hills neighbors and send an email letter to your legislators today. Without your support,there may not be a chance to preserve even the minimal funding our schools have today. This letter to your legislators is telling them, the citizens of California, want the right to vote in a special election to extend current taxes that would avoid devastating budget cuts to education. Currently, several legislators are blocking this election from taking place! Take action today! Our kids and our schools cannot sustain losing an additional $5 billion in budget cuts!
- For more information please visit www.educateourstate.org. click on the “Let Us Vote!” link to send an email letter to your state legislators.